The tea on preventing split ends and breakage.
Natural Curly hair is more prone to breakage and split ends because of its texture being naturally dryer.
Nothing is more frustrating than trying to grow your hair long only to hear those dreaded words by your hairdresser “you need a trim”.
Here are 5 damage control tips to help you grow your hair instead of longing for longer hair (no pun intended).
1. Moisture is absolutely a necessary ingredient to keeping your hair healthy. You should deep condition your hair every time you shampoo your hair. This is especially important if you’re wearing your hair in its naturally curly state. If you are wearing your natural hair straight more than curly be sure to deep condition at least every 2 weeks. When detangling always finger detangle first and then use a wide tooth comb.
2. Steam keeps the gleam! If you want shiny healthy looking curls and less breakage steam therapy is the way to go. Steaming smooths your curly cuticle and allows for moisture to penetrate beneath the surface. This benefits your hair from root to tip allowing for maximum hydration and less breakage in order to achieve longer hair growth.
Steps to preventing split ends and breakage
3. Take your vitamins. Breakage and split ends can also come from a vitamin deficiency so make sure you take a multivitamin packed with everything your body needs (including your hair) in order to thrive!
4. Heat protection is important. When heat styling your hair be sure to take extra care by using heat protection. Brilliant Shine Spray and Moisture Balance Leave-in Conditioner are great for heat protection when heat styling your hair. You want to be very careful not to dry out your hair and get heat damage. Too much heat with too many passes = split ends and breakage.
5. Lastly, it can be fun trying new styles at home. But always remember that having natural hair doesn’t mean you don’t need to see a professional hair stylist. You should seek a professional hair stylist in order to have your curly hair type assessed and cared for properly.
I hope these tips help you in achieving your hair goals of less breakage and more growing!
Founder of Bye Bye Parabens